Writing a Cover Letter for a Teaching Job? So, use this sample cover letter for a teaching job as a template for your successful cover letter.
When applying for any job, a candidate should include a cover letter with his or her resume. The candidate should think about how the reader will respond to the information in the cover letter because, in many cases, an employer decides whether or not he or she will even look at the resume depending on the cover letter.
For a teacher cover letter, it is even more important to be very clear because any mistakes will definitely reflect negatively on the employer’s view of the candidate’s ability to teach.
A teacher cover letter gives the applicant the opportunity to accentuate or supplement the information on the resume. If the applicant has extensive experience or certification, this can be highlighted in the cover letter.
The letter should mention specific skills and use concrete examples. It should also explain why the applicant is interested in teaching at that particular school and what skills they have to offer.
The cover letter should clearly mention:
• The degrees and certification
• The teaching experience even if it was voluntary and not a job
• The teaching education and classroom training
• Other experience that supports the job
• How they can contribute to the school
• The candidate should express his or her passion for teaching. Schools and universities appreciate someone who loves teaching and doesn’t consider it just a job.
• The letter should be short and to-the-point
• Applicants should use colorful language, so the letter stands out as sent by an enthusiastic person and not simply generated from a template.
• Candidates should use details that support their request and demonstrate how the candidate is suitable for the position.
• If several schools are being applied to, the candidate should send a personalized letter to each school and not use the same one for each.
• The letter should be addressed to the appropriate human resources person and not To Whom It May Concern.
• Unless it has been requested by the school, the letter should not be sent by email.
Here is a sample teacher cover letter. It may or may not be sent with a resume. In some cases, a resume is not sent with the first request for a job, but only sent if it is requested by the employer. In other cases, the resume is included with the cover letter. The applicant can call the school to find out if the resume should be included.
The letter should be written in formal business style and have accurate grammar and spelling. If there any mistakes, the letter will most likely be immediately discarded because a reputable teaching applicant would not send a letter with these kinds of mistakes.
If the candidate is not sure about the grammar, he or she should ask an expert before sending the letter. It can be sent by certified mail, so the applicant knows it was received.
Sample teacher cover letter
Name of Applicant
Address of Applicant
City, State, Zip Code
Name of Human Resource Administrator
Name of School or University
Address of School or University
City, State, Zip Code
Dear Name of Human Resource Administrator:
It has been brought to my attention by my sister-in-law, Name of Sister-in-law, who teaches ninth grade physics in your school that there is an opening for a biology teacher in your esteemed institution. I would like to submit my application for this position. Your school has been designated an eco-friendly environment by the state, and I would like to participate in and contribute to your environmental programs.
Currently, I am working as a lab assistant in Name of Agriculture Company. I have been employed there for the past five years. Prior to that, I was a biology teacher in Name of School for three years. Teaching is my passion, and I would like to go back to teaching biology. I took the lab job while my husband was still in law school because it paid more, but he is working with a law firm now, and I would like teach again.
I believe that the study of life forms is essential for children today in order for them to understand the impact that global warming has on the Earth. During my years at Name of Agricultural Company, I participated in several projects for preserving eco systems, and sustainable farming.
I have BSc and MSc degrees in biology from Name of University, and am certified to teach in this state. I believe I can make a positive contribution to your school as well as on the minds and hearts of my students.
My resume is enclosed. I would welcome an interview at your earliest convenience. You can reach me at Phone Number or at Email Address.
Thank you for your time considering my application.
Signature of Applicant
Printed Name of Applicant
List of Enclosures: Resume