Below is a sample dispute letter to a collection agency. It is a legal document and should be written as a formal business letter. It should be typed and printed from a computer and have accurate spelling and grammar.
Sample Dispute Letter To A Collection Agency
City, State, Zip Code
City, State, Zip Code
RE: Dispute of debt on account number [NUMBER].
Dear Debt Collection Agent:
This letter is a formal dispute for the debt you have listed on my [Name of Credit Card]. According to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), I am allowed to request in writing that you validate the debt.
I request that you provide competent evidence that I owe the debt and send me the following information:
- The amount of the debt
- Copies of documents that show I agreed to pay the debt
- The identity of the original creditor
- Proof that the Statute of Limitations has not expired on this account
- Proof that you are licensed to collect in my state
- Your license numbers and registered agent
According to the law, I am sending this letter within 30 days of [DATE] when I first received your collection notice.
If you have unfairly reported this debt to the three major Credit Bureaus, it may constitute fraud. Please validate the debt or remove it from my credit report at all three bureaus.
You may not add any fees or interest to the debt unless it is specified by state law or the original contract.
If you continue to try to collect this debt without giving proper validation, you will be violating the FDCPA. If you do not own this debt, please send a copy of this letter to the original creditor.
I can be reached at [Phone Number] or at [Email Address]. I expect to hear from you in writing within five days.
Your Printed Name
- Debt Validation Letters: How To Use Them To Crush Debt Collection
- How to Write a Good Credit Card Cancellation Letter (with Sample)
- How to Remove a Bankruptcy from Your Credit Report
- How to Settle Credit Card Debt on Your Own
- How to Write a Strong Credit Inquiry Removal Letter (with Sample)
- How to Write a Simple Letter to Remove Bad Credit
- HOW TO WRITE DISPUTE LETTERS
- DEBT COLLECTIONS MISTAKES THAT CAN HELP YOU WIN