A simple one page lease agreement governs the relationship between the landlord and the tenant. An one page lease agreement letter must clearly state the amount of rent due and on what date.
How many people can live in the apartment, condo or house. What duties the landlord has and what is expected of the tenant and the procedure to follow if either does not fulfill these requirements.
Lease agreements are legally binding even if they are not in writing. However, it is very difficult to enforce an oral agreement, which is why it is safer to have all the details in writing.
Lease Agreement Or Rental Agreement?
The simple one page lease agreement letter should clearly state how the landlord’s rights are protected as well as those of the tenant.
Lease agreements are different from rental agreements because lease agreements cover a much longer time period than rental agreements that can be more easily terminated on short notice.
For example, it is not legal for a landlord to evict a tenant who pays his or her rent on time until the lease expires. Also, a tenant must pay the full amount of the lease if they use the house or not unless it is otherwise stipulated in the agreement.
The agreement letter must contain the following information:
- The full name of the landlord and the tenant
- The length of time for the lease – If it is more than a year, it is recommended to get the help of a lawyer
- The monthly payments and the date they are due and the amount of the security deposit as well as procedures if a check bounces
- The utilities the tenant pays and what the landlord pays
- Whether or not pets are allowed and if so what type of pets
- Whether or not a satellite dish is allowed
- Conditions for the tenant to sublet the apartment
- A description of the condition of the property before the lease begins and the tenant agrees to maintain the condition or pay for any damages
- The landlord may inspect the property at any time after giving at least 24-hour notice to the tenant
- Penalties if the tenant violates the lease such as bringing a pet or not paying rent
- How many people may live in the house
- The landlord and all tenants over 18 years of age must sign and date the letter. If it is not signed and dated it is worthless. The signatures are legally binding and show that both the tenant and the landlord agree with the contents of the letter.
Below is a simple one page lease agreement letter sample. It is a legal document, so it should be written in a formal style. It can be delivered by hand, but it is recommended to send it by certified mail.
Simple one page Lease agreement Letter sample
1. This lease agreement is between the Landlord, Full Name and Mailing Address of Landlord and the Tenant, Full Name of Tenant and Address on New Leased Property.
2. The Landlord hereby leases the property at Address of Property to the Tenant for the term of nine months from DATE to DATE for the amount of TOTAL AMOUNT to be paid in the monthly amount of AMOUNT on or before the fifth of the month.
The Tenant agrees to pay AMOUNT for each monthly payment that is late. The property has no furniture but has a dishwasher, garbage disposal, furnace and air conditioner.
3. The Tenant will be responsible to pay for services and utilities including electricity, gas and garbage collection. The Landlord agrees to pay for snow removal and garden upkeep.
4. The Tenant will pay a deposit of AMOUNT before taking up residence in the house. The Landlord will return this deposit to the Tenant within 30 days after the end of the lease after making sure there are no damages or cleaning costs, other than reasonable wear and tear, that need to be paid.
5. The Tenant may keep a pet as long as it doesn’t disturb the neighbors. If it disturbs more than one neighbor, the Tenant agrees to remove the pet.
6. The Tenant must get permission from the Landlord to sublease the property.
7. The Landlord may inspect the property at any time after giving at least one day prior notice.
8. The Tenant agrees not to disturb the peace or carry on commercial enterprises on the property. The Tenant will not make any alterations on the property without the Landlord’s consent.
9. If there is any dispute connected to this lease agreement that needs to go to court to be resolved, the losing party will pay all court costs.
The undersigned agree to this Lease Agreement:
Signature of Landlord and Date
Printed Name of Landlord
Signature of Tenant and Date
Printed Name of Tenant
Signature of Other Tenant and Date
Printed Name of Other Tenant