Whether you need to finish your masters or get Ph.D., education is the best way to further your career. If you have a job and need to quit so you can go back to school full-time, you may need to send a resignation letter.
It is important to remember that you may need a reference from this employer in the future, so your resignation letter should be respectful and express gratitude for the opportunity to work for the company.
Ideally, you will know far enough in advance in order to give your letter at least two weeks before your leaving date.
However, you should check your contract for any required time for announcing a resignation.
Some Tips For Writing A Professional Resignation Letter:
- Address the letter to the person who will receive it. In most cases, it is not wise to address it To Whom It May Concern
- The aim of the letter, which is resignation, should be clearly stated at the beginning, so the receiver doesn’t wonder what you want
- You must give proper notice before your date of leaving and clearly state the date of your last day at work
- It may be optional, but for exam preparation, it is a good idea to state your reason for resigning. This shows your employer that you are seriously furthering your career and not leaving because you are unhappy at your job
- You should offer to help in any way during the few weeks you have before you leave. You may be asked to train someone in your duties
- Show gratitude for the experience of working in the company or for working with the employer. This is important because you may ask that person for a reference later when you apply for another job. Even if that person has also left the company, he or she may be able to provide you with a reference letter based on the years you worked together
- End the letter with an offer to help in any way during the transition period before you leave and give your contact information so you are easy to find
- Most importantly, always be professional in the contents of your letter and in your behavior before you go.
Here is a sample resignation letter for higher studies. It may be sent by email, through the post or hand delivered according to the rules of the company.
Sample Resignation Letter For Higher Studies
Your Job title
City, State, Zip Code
Name of employer
Name of company
Address of the company
City, State, Zip Code
RE: resignation on DATE
Dear [Name of Employer]:
This letter is to formally inform you that I am resigning my position of [floor manager] effective on DATE. I cannot continue to work as a [floor manager] while I return to school full time to earn my masters degree.
I have enjoyed working for [Name of Company] for the past two years and appreciate all the help and support you gave me to become an effective [floor manager].
You taught me what it means to be professional in all my actions at work and I will never forget it. Please let me know if I can help train the next [floor manager] during the transition period.
Thank you for the opportunity to work for [Name of Company]. If I can be of any help, please contact me at [Phone Number] or [Email Address].
Your Printed name