Although a speeding ticket appeal letter may not always be successful, it is always worth a shot. Much of what happens is determined by how you compose the letter and how it is delivered.
There are also other factors to examine, such as the circumstances surrounding the issuance of the ticket. Use our sample speeding ticket appeal letter as a starting point for your own letter.
Speeding Ticket Appeal Letter Sample
[Name of Driver]
[Address of Driver]
[City, State, Zip Code]
[Name of Judge]
[Address of Court]
[City, State, Zip Code]
RE: Appeal of speeding ticket number [NUMBER]
Dear [Name of Judge]:
This letter is a formal request to appeal a speeding ticket I received on [DATE]. My name and address are above and the ticket number is [NUMBER].
The license plate of my car is [NUMBER]. I received the ticket on [Name of Street] for [driving 40 mph in a 25 mph zone].
I agree I was driving over the speed limit and that the officer was right to give me the ticket.
I have driven that street for [15 years] and was not aware the speed limit had been lowered.
The new speed limit sign is not easy to see as it is partially covered by the sign of a local restaurant. I have enclosed a photograph of the sign.
This is my first speeding ticket as I am a very careful driver. I am sorry for having driven too fast and would never have done so if I had seen the new speed limit sign.
I humbly request that the ticket be dismissed because it will cause my insurance premium to be raised, which I cannot afford.
My younger brother and I are orphans, and I am raising him on my salary alone. I am willing to enroll in a defensive driving course if this will help with my request.
Thank you for taking the time to consider my request to have the speeding ticket retracted. I can be reached at [Phone Number] or at [Email Address].
[Signature of Driver]
[Printed Name of Driver]
List of Enclosures: [photos of the speed limit sign]
- What are My Options if I Want to Contest a Speeding Ticket?
- What is the Likelihood of Winning a Speeding Ticket Appeal?
- How Much Do Traffic Lawyers Cost
- How I Successfully Reduced My Speeding Ticket In Court
- Traffic Attorney Explains How to Beat a Speeding Ticket
- Traffic Lawyer: How To Beat A Speeding Ticket
- 4 Hacks To Beat A Speeding Ticket In Court
- These Simple Tricks Can Get You Out Of Any Speeding Ticket!
- Writing a Simple Letter to Attorney Requesting Help [Free Sample]