When a person would like to rent a room in their house or apartment, they need to make a room rental agreement. If they are planning to rent a room that they are already renting from a landlord, it is called a sublease, and tenants usually need the landlord’s permission to do this.
It is often done when a person is planning to be away for some time and would like someone to live in a room in his or her house or apartment, so they don’t need to leave it empty for an extended period.
main terms and conditions
A room rental agreement letter is usually sent to a prospective tenant from the person currently occupying the room or from a landlord to give the main terms and conditions that the lease will contain. If the landlord has put an advertisement in the newspaper or online in order to rent a room, potential tenants may make enquiries.
The landlord can send a letter that tells the tenant what to expect if they rent the room. Even if the potential tenant has called the landlord to find out about the amount of rent and condition of the property, it is important to put the details in writing. The letter will make it easy to define the rights of both the tenant and landlord.
Some of the information that a room rental agreement letter may contain is:
• The address of the property
• The name of the landlord or original tenant and the name of the new tenant
• The length of the lease including starting and ending dates
• Whether the room has utilities or furniture
• How many tenants are allowed to live in the room
• If pets are allowed
• Conditions to sublet or to extend the lease after it terminates including the right to raise the rent if a new lease is negotiated
• The amount of any security deposit and the terms for returning the deposit at the end of the lease
• The amount of rent and to whom the new tenant pays the rent. If the room is subleased, the new tenant would pay the original tenant and he or she would pay the landlord
• When and how the landlord or original tenant have access to the room
• If smoking is allowed in the room.
Below is a sample room rental agreement letter. It is a legal document and should be written in formal, business-letter style. It is also recommended to send the letter by certified mail to ensure it is delivered to the right person.
Sample Agreement Rental Agreement Letter
Name of Landlord or Original Tenant
Address of Landlord or Original Tenant
City, State, Zip Code
Name of Potential Tenant
Address of Potential Tenant
City, State, Zip Code
Dear Name of Potential Tenant:
In response to our phone conversation on DATE about the room I have for rent at Address of Room, I am sending this letter to give the details of the terms of the lease for your perusal.
If you agree with the terms, please sign a copy of this letter and send it to me. When I receive your agreement, I will draw a formal lease contract that we both will sign.
The terms are as follows:
• The date of the beginning of the lease is DATE.
• The lease will terminate on DATE, but may be extended pending certain conditions that will be itemized in the formal lease.
• The room has electricity and water but no furniture, and smoking is not allowed inside the room.
• The rent per month is AMOUNT.
• A security deposit of AMOUNT must be paid before you move in. It will be returned at the end of the lease, minus any costs for damage to the structure.
• The room is only for residential purposes and not for commercial purposes.
• The rent will be paid by the tenant to the landlord on or before the seventh day of each month. There will be a fee of AMOUNT if the rent is not paid on time.
• The tenant may not sublease the room to a third party.
• No pets are allowed on the property.
If you have any questions, you can reach me at Phone Number or at Email Address. I would like your response within seven working days, or I will consider that you don’t agree and will find another tenant.
Signature of Landlord or Original Tenant
Printed Name of Landlord or Original Tenant