To request an appointment with a business person, it is courteous to write a business appointment request letter. If the appointment is with people in the sender’s own office, he or she may be tempted to send an email or text message to request an appointment.
However, formal letters have the advantage of adding importance to the agenda as well as giving the platform for explaining some of the reasons for the meeting. It also shows professionalism and preparation.
• Researching the company and person to whom the letter is addressed
• Clearly stating the purpose of the meeting
• Enclosing some documents that may help should such as a bio of the sender, a brochure about the sender’s company
• Mentioning specific previous successes in the same field
• Including testimonials form satisfied customers on the same topic as the meeting request agenda
The letter should follow business-letter format. It should be written in simple language with no slang.
Some reasons for requesting a meeting are for:
• Presenting a business plan
• Making a sales pitch
• Talking to the boss
• Scheduling an interview
• Meeting a government official
• Meeting colleagues
There are several reasons for requesting an appointment to meet colleagues such as to discuss the progress of a project, to meet people from a different company with whom there is collaboration or simply because there is an issue that needs discussion.
A letter to request an appointment doesn’t need to be long, but it does need to give the vital information. It should state:
• Place of appointment
• Reason for the appointment in brief
• Potential dates for appointment
• Request for follow-up after the appointment
• Suggested length of the appointment
• Possible times for the appointment
• What the person or company would gain from the appointment
Here is a sample business appointment request letter for appointment someone who is not in the same company or office of the sender. As with all business communications, the letter should be sent by certified mail, so the sender has proof of when it was sent and received.
If there are any official documents enclosed, they should be copies and not originals. A brochure may also be enclosed if the appointment is for a business proposition or sale.
Sample Business Appointment Request Letter
Top Sales Inc.
345 Business Court
Columbia, MD, 20007
February 4, 2019
123 Baller Avenue
Atlanta, LA, 20007
I am the Sales Director of Top Sales Inc., and I met you at the ABC Conference. A representative of our sales team, Brenda Cloud, will be in Los Angeles between 2/15/2019 and 2/22/2019 and would like to meet you on any of those days for 30 minutes if possible between 9am – 12pm.
He has done research on your company and believes he has a mutually beneficial business proposition he would like to discuss with you.
Would it be convenient for you, or someone you delegate, to meet Brenda Cloud on one of these days? I will call you in a few days to discuss any details or questions you may have and arrange an alternative time if required.
List of enclosures