How to Dispute a Charge from Your Dental Insurance
Last Updated: January 12, 2023
If you believe that a charge from your dental insurance is incorrect or unjustified, you can dispute the charge by following these steps:
1. Review your policy: Before disputing a charge, make sure you understand your dental insurance policy and the coverage it provides. This will help you determine if the charge is valid or not.
2. Gather documentation: Collect any relevant documentation that supports your dispute, such as receipts, bills, and treatment notes from your dentist.
3. Contact your dental insurance provider: Contact your dental insurance provider and explain the issue. Provide them with the documentation you’ve collected and ask for an explanation of the charge.
4. Ask for a formal review: If you are not satisfied with the explanation provided by your dental insurance provider, ask for a formal review of the charge. This will typically involve submitting a written request for review, along with your supporting documentation.
5. Appeal the decision: If the review does not result in a resolution that you are satisfied with, you can appeal the decision. Many insurance companies have an appeals process that allows you to dispute the decision to a higher level of authority within the company.
6. Consider hiring a lawyer: If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the appeals process, you may consider hiring a lawyer to assist you in disputing the charge.
It’s important to note that the dispute process may take some time and it’s recommended that you keep detailed records of all correspondence and communication with your dental insurance provider.